Few days ago we told you that Android is available for Nokia N9. It is now possible to install latest Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.3 in Nokia N9. Developers at NITDroid forum have started ‘Project Mayhem’ to bring full functional Android for Nokia N9. For your information Nokia N9 runs MeeGo operating system which is an updated version of Nokia’s Maemo 5 and Intel’s Moblin. Currently most of the things working in Android and users can dual boot Android with current MeeGo OS. To install Android in Nokia N9 follow this tutorial very carefully. Please make a complete back up of the device before following the guide and learn how to reflash the mobile in case anything goes wrong.
Warning: We are not responsible in any way if your mobile gets damaged or anything wrong happens to your mobile. Follow this tutorial at your own risk.
Android ICS running on Nokia N9 Video
What is working in Android-
based on Android Open-Source Project (AOSP) v 4.0.3_r1 (IML74K)
– dualboot kernel (without reflashing), ability to choose OS after power on.
– 3D drivers, OpenGL
– hwrotation (portrait mode only, accelerometer HAL doesn’t work)
– touchscreen (multitouch)
– hw buttons (volume, power)
– ECI accessory (headset buttons)
– USB networking
– lcd off in sleep mode
– alarm driver, RTC
– mounting MyDocs as “SDCard” [realized; NOT FIXED, but HACK EXISTS]
– basic video decoding (sw) and playback, youtube (choppy)
– basic CellMo functionality: network registration, USSD, SMS, data (GPRS/EDGE/3G), signaling. Actually, ofono/ofono-ril stack is used: all things that it able to do on the n900.
– bluetooth (scanning, can pair devices. I didn’t test deeper).
– charging (note: without any notification in UI)
– sensors: accelerometer
– audio: playback (audio routing to: loudspeaker, headset or earpiece)
– lights HAL (lcd brightness)
– root access (via adb shell; su/Superuser.apk)
Install Android Ice Cream Sandwich in Nokia N9
You can dual boot Android with current MeeGo operating system in Nokia N9. For this dual booting you need to install dual-boot kernel follow this process-
1. First download the Flasher tool for Harmattan OS. Visit this link and download the tool named “Maemo Flasher-3.12.1 Tool for Harmattan”. It is compatible with Windows 32 bit and Linux 32 & 64 bit operating system. After downloading the flashing software install in on your computer.
2. Full charge your mobile and switch off and disconnect from computer.
3. Now download the kernel and Harmattan FIASCO image image [the image has name like – DFL61_HARMATTAN_30.2012.07-1_PR_LEGACY_001-OEM1-958_ARM.bin].
4. If you are using Windows then start command prompt (cmd.exe) and run these commands-
cd path_to_directory_which_contains_your_flasher flasher -a DFL61_HARMATTAN_30.2012.07-1_PR_LEGACY_001-OEM1-958_ARM.bin -k zImage --flash-only=kernel -f -R
5. Connect your mobile to computer. It will take few seconds to start and finish the flashing process. The device will reboot when flashing is complete. Next you need to install sillyboot. To do this follow this guide-
2. Keep the downloaded file into MyDocs folder of mobile. Open terminal on your phone and run these codes-
then type the command
tar xjvf /home/user/MyDocs/sillyboot.tar.bz2 -C /
Now you are ready to install Android in Nokia N9. The real Android installation on Nokia N9 starts from here-
1. Download tarball from this link. You have to check its integrity. Make sure the md5 sum of this archive is ee57d8c3b9199e87bb5c355e8c9d1cc3.
2. Copy the archive to your MyDocs folder of Nokia N9.
3. Next execute these command “as root” =
4. Now reboot the device and push “Volume Up” button when message “Press VolUp to boot alternative OS” appear on the screen . Now wait for sometime and go to
Settings->Display->Sleep and choose “30 minutes”.
5. In the next step download adb from Android SDK.
Use these commands in ADB-
adb connect 192.168.2.15:5039 -- connect to your device. USB/ADB is broken, but ADB works well over USB networking. adb logcat -- for reading "main" log adb logcat -b radio -- for reading "radio" log adb shell -- to enter to shell adb pull/push -- allow get/put file from/to the device adb shell rr -- "restart radio" -- restarts ofono and RIL adb shell bb -- show battery/charging status
- Play Match-Maker with Spritzr Dating App
- Top Grossing Slot Apps
- How to increase app visibility in app store?
- Samsung Galaxy A7 is the slimmest phone from the company
- Asus ZenFone 2 with 4 GB RAM announced at CES 2015
- HTC Desire 620 dual SIM & Desire 620G announced
- OnePlus One launching in India on December 2 via Amazon
- Xiaomi RedMi Note going on sale in India on Dec 2nd
- Lenovo Vibe X2 now available from Flipkart for Rs.19,999
- Google Nexus 6 India price revealed
Follow us on Twitter